I am an Iraqi passport holder residing in the United Arab Emirates. I have a connecting flight through Hong Kong, and I will neither be staying in Hong Kong city nor leaving the airside area. I will fly to Hong Kong from Dubai with Cathay Pacific, and I will stay in the airport for almost 5 hours and a half. After that I will depart Hong Kong to Tokyo (Japan).

Do I need a transit visa for that?

2 Answers 2


Wikipedia seems to think so. Which is confirmed by HK Immigration's website.

  • 1
    It is the same source actually, because Wikipedia information is based on HK Immigration website.
    – Neusser
    Sep 26, 2017 at 9:24
  • 1
    Nothing wrong with the sentence order. I went to wikipedia (which is one should do first anyway) and followed the link for Iraq to HK Immigration (which would have been anyway my second stop). So the order I did things is reflected in my sentence.
    – user67108
    Sep 26, 2017 at 9:29

As stated in Timatic, the database used by Airlines:

Visa required, except for Passengers with a Hong Kong (SAR China) Permanent Identity Card [or] a travel document issued by Hong Kong (SAR China) with "Holder's eligibility for Hong Kong (SAR China) Permanent Identity Card verified.

So yes, you need a transit visa.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .