I am a refugee from Cambodia with a Green Card in the US. I will get a refugee travel document, which is like a passport. Can I travel to South Korea? Will I need a visa? If so, how do I get it? Basically will Korea let me in with a travel document?

  • 1
    As in all cases where you wonder whether you need a visa or not: assume you do and ask a consulate or embassy. – jwenting Jul 24 '18 at 12:24

South Korea's policy on immigration is nationality based. Since you're Cambodian, you need a visa. The only way for you to visit Korea without a visa would be to travel in a triangle, taking advantage of the 30-day visa exemption for people who:

  • transit through Korea, and
  • have a visa from a few countries, including the US. Since you have a green card, that'd work.

But you would have to fly something like:

US - Korea, Korea - third country, and then third country - US.

You couldn't fly on a return ticket US-Korea without a visa.

  • I wonder, does it have to be a reasonable transit. For example could you get away with doing US - Korea - Canada - USA. – Peter Green Jul 24 '18 at 9:06
  • Or the reverse, like US Korea Taiwan US. – user67108 Jul 24 '18 at 9:39

According to IATA Timatic, used by airlines and travel agents to verify passengers travel document requirements, you would require a visa to enter the Republic of South Korea.

A search in TravelDoc expresses it thus:

Refugee Travel Document issued by United States of America to a national of Cambodia is not listed as an accepted document by Republic of Korea (South).

  • Saying that a refugee travel document is not listed as an accepted document isn't the same as saying that someone holding such a document needs a visa; it's saying that TIMATIC cannot confirm that the person would be admitted. – phoog Jun 24 '18 at 5:48
  • @phoog and thus that the airline should refuse boarding. – jwenting Jul 24 '18 at 12:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.