I am a Philippine passport holder travelling to US via Haneda. I only have a 3-hour layover in Haneda. From Manila I will be taking PH Airlines and from Haneda to US I will be taking AA (American Airlines).

Do I need a transit visa at Haneda airport?


3 Answers 3


If you are planning to go out of the airport then you need a visa. For a 3 hour layover, I suggest that you stay at the airport because sometimes flights are delayed and your 3 hours layover may become 2 hours.

In the same time you need atleast 1 hour in an average to find your connecting flight gate and prepare to board the plane.


As stated in Timatic, the database used by Airlines:

Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 72 hours through Tokyo Haneda (HND) or Osaka Kansai (KIX).

So if the trip is in one booking, you do not need a visa


Check haneda custom website. They actually have a section with Visa. It says that you should check with your embassy about restrictions and such.

Also I found a PDF from Philippine embassy regarding traveling to japan. regarding to this country passport it says:

  1. Philippine Passport
    • Broken passport is not accepted. Passports must be signed and must have at least two (2) blank visa pages.

Make sure before buying your plane ticket that your trip includes visa for transit. Otherwise this could be problematic.

So if you stay in the transit zone you shouldn't have any visa trouble :)

Hope this helps

  • 1
    There's no use sending the OP to that website because all it says is "Check with your embassy". It is also not the customs website, it's the airport website.
    – user40521
    Sep 20, 2017 at 9:01
  • Sorry, I try to help as much as I can @JanDoggen Sep 20, 2017 at 9:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .