I will be travelling to the US for a vacation. I would like to rent a car for driving there but I have recently lost the original card license that I own. I have a scanned copy of my licence though. Will I be able to drive in the US legally with a photocopy of my licence and an IDP ? Will the police in California accept it ?

  • 1
    Not likely. Better to get a temporary license or replacement as the car rental company will want to see proper paperwork.
    – user13044
    Sep 19, 2017 at 9:59
  • What I know, the IDP is used only to help the translation. I believe you will continue to need your original drive license.
    – Marcel P.
    Sep 19, 2017 at 11:31

1 Answer 1


No and no. :(

But your first problem is you will be unable to rent a car without a valid Driver License. There is practically 0% change a reputable agency will accept a photo copy of anything.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .