My partner is Russian with a Russian passport, but has a Netherlands residence permit and has lived in the Netherlands for over 7 years.

What is required for her to enter the UK?

Other info which is likely important: her Dutch residence permit needs to be renewed on 27th Feb 2018, and travel to London is 14th February 2018.

She's currently checking into the process for acquiring a Dutch passport but in case it's not completed in time ...

  • 2
    Are you an EU/EEA citizen? Has your partner lived with you for most or all of those 7 years? Do you own property or raise children together (which would make it easier to demonstrate a "durable relationship" and qualify for the freedom-of-movement rules)? Or does her residence permit say "family member of a union citizen"? Sep 18, 2017 at 15:47
  • I'm British, and have lived in Netherlands for almost 3 years. My partner has not lived with me or has children/marriage with me or anyone else of EU citizenship Sep 19, 2017 at 16:15
  • I have checked here and from what I can tell she can travel under a Standard Visitor Visa - gov.uk/check-uk-visa Does that sound correct? Sep 19, 2017 at 16:18
  • This is not a duplicate. It does not ask whether the Dutch residence permit entitles the partner to go to the UK, but for what else she needs. Sep 19, 2017 at 21:20
  • @HenningMakholm And the answer to the other question is "No, the residence permit isn't enough. Here's what else she needs." It's a straight-up duplicate. Sep 21, 2017 at 9:45

1 Answer 1


She will need a Standard Visitor visa.

If you had a documentable "lasting relationship" with her, she could possibly qualify for an EEA Family Permit instead (which would be free, in contrast to a visa, and may have easier documentation requirements), but given what you have explained in comments, that doesn't sound likely.

  • Perfect Henning, this is what I concluded. Thank you for reaffirming that. Sep 20, 2017 at 12:59

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .