I am a Filipina and I live in Romania. My cousin, who lives in Italy, wants me to come visit her for three days. I have a residence permit valid for one year in Romania. It’s not a working permit; it’s an “other purpose” permit.

I want to know if I need a visa for Italy. I asked immigration here in Romania, and they said I don’t need a visa and I can go with this permit to Italy for 60 days. But I want to be sure if I need one or not.

  • Do you have a family member who is an EU or EFTA citizen? If so, do you have a family member residence card?
    – Crazydre
    Sep 11 '17 at 11:39
  • Why would you not trust the immigration guys and ask random folks on internet? Sep 11 '17 at 17:56
  • @HankyPanky OP asked Romanian immigration officers about Italian immigration requirements; they are probably not trained in that, which would explain why they gave incorrect information.
    – phoog
    Dec 18 '19 at 15:27

As stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines:

Visa required, except for Passengers with a family member residence card issued by Romania. The card must be issued to family members of a national of Switzerland or an EEA Member State. They are visa exempt for a maximum stay of 90 days and must travel with or travel to join the national of Switzerland or EEA Member State. This does not apply to passengers with a different type of residence permit.

So unless you have a family member who is an EU or EFTA citizen, and were issued a family member residence card, you do need a visa

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.