I'm working at an MNC IT company and I am applying for a Tier 2 ICT UK visa to work in the UK.

However, the planned duration for the stay in the UK is only 6 months (180 days).

I have two dependents (wife and child) who will accompany me during my stay in the UK.

Should I apply for a visitor's visa for both or should I apply for Tier 2 dependent visas?

1 Answer 1


The UK Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa permits you to bring family members with you, not on a visitor visa but with Tier 2 dependent visa.

7. Family members

Your family members (‘dependants’) can come with you when you come to the UK on this visa. Your family members must have a visa if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife or partner
  • your child under 18

Read the guidance on dependant applications before you apply.

They’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge. Check how much they’ll have to pay before they apply.

The full criteria and requirements are found in the Points Based System (Dependent) Policy Guidance published by the Home Office in January 2017, and including an April 2017 update.

Dependants applying from outside the UK
Your family members must apply online.

They’ll need to have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre (to get a biometric residence permit) as part of their application.

They’ll have to collect their biometric residence permit within 30 days of when they said they’d arrive in the UK.

They may be able to get their visa faster or other services depending on what country they’re in - check with the visa application centre.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .