I have an Indian Passport and I'm currently in NZ on a tourist visa. I want to visit Australia. Do I have to apply from India or is possible to apply for a visa from NZ?

  • 7
    What do you mean by "living in NZ on a tourist visa"? "Living in" a place implies that you've made it your permanent home, which isn't possible on a tourist visa. Commented Sep 8, 2017 at 0:08
  • "Living in XXX on a tourist visa" is called, hmmm, illegal immigration, no? Or at least borderline.
    – user67108
    Commented Sep 8, 2017 at 4:37
  • @dda not really - I'm living in NZ currently on a 6 month visitor visa, my wife has a 5 month work visa and is currently applying for a 3 year work visa. When that is received, I can apply for a work visa. NZ Immigration said they had absolutely and utterly no problems with this approach at all, so long as I didn't exceed my 6 month stay either by leaving the country at the appropriate time or by receiving a visa with a longer duration during my stay.
    – user29788
    Commented Sep 8, 2017 at 5:23
  • 3
    @DavidRicherby I would disagree with that, because you can get visas with suitably long durations that certainly put you in the position of having to "live" rather than just "visit" or "stay". I'm on a 6 month visitor visa (Indian passport holders can get a visitor visa valid for up to 9 months) and I have an NZ bank account, a couch, a TV, internet connection and a house rental for the duration. I am definitely living here right now. With enough money, you can certainly "live" in NZ without working.
    – user29788
    Commented Sep 8, 2017 at 5:32
  • 1
    Poor english aside in the original version, how is this question unclear? An Indian passport holder currently in New Zealand wants to know if they have to apply for an Australian visa from India or can they apply for it while in New Zealand. Seems clear enough to me...
    – user29788
    Commented Sep 8, 2017 at 6:04

1 Answer 1


According to Visitor e600 Visa Online Applications, citizens of India are eligible to apply online for a visitor visa:

If you are outside Australia, you must hold a passport from an eligible country to apply online for a Visitor visa (subclass 600).

Australia lets you apply for a visa from anywhere, it appears. Having an online application makes the process easier than having to visit a consulate.

  • 1
    It might be worth pointing out explicitly that this means you don't have to be in your own country, as some backward countries allow you to apply in various ways but require you to be in your own country when making the application.
    – user29788
    Commented Sep 8, 2017 at 6:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .