I will be visiting the US shortly as a tourist. From there, I have a flight scheduled from San Francisco to Beijing, China. I am on a world tour for about 10 months. In the South American countries I have visited so far I haven't been able to get a Chinese visa as I was not officially staying or living in these countries, but there only as a tourist. Does anyone know if as a tourist passing through the US I can get a Chinese visa? I am Spanish.

1 Answer 1


Most probably no. Most Chinese consulates in the world take visa applications ONLY from residents. In some cases (it happened to a friend in Singapore), they even restrict what type of visa a foreign resident can apply for.

The only place I know where you can get a Chinese visa as a tourist is Hong Kong. But that would probably require you to change your travel plans...

Note that without a Chinese visa, or another booking out of China within 72 hours, the airline won't let you board your flight. Your best bets are:

  1. Reroute your trip to HK first, and apply there.
  2. Book an additional flight to HK, with PEK-HKG within 72 hours of your arrival in PEK. In that case, you get a 72-hour transit visa on arrival.

You can combine options 1 and 2: get a round trip PEK-HKG. Enjoy 72 hours in Beijing. Go to HK. Apply for a tourist visa (get a two-entry visa, might as well), and visit HK while waiting. Go back to PEK, and start visiting China.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .