I have lost my passport here in Beograd. Can I travel just with my Czech ID card from Belgrade to Budapest?

  • Which country issued you this ID card?
    – George Y.
    Sep 2 '17 at 1:32
  • @GeorgeY. title claims it's Czech Republic
    – Kuba
    Sep 2 '17 at 2:11

Yes, you can travel just with Czech ID card as Hungary is in European union and Czech republic has agreement with Serbia. Source: http://www.mzv.cz/jnp/cz/cestujeme/aktualni_doporuceni_a_varovani/srbsko_cestovani_na_obcansky_prukaz.mobi

  • It's not about being part of the European Union, it's about being part of the Schengen Treaty. (Which doesn't make a difference here, but still.)
    – ytg
    Sep 2 '17 at 8:35
  • Also the provided link is about entering Serbia.
    – chx
    Sep 2 '17 at 8:39
  • 1
    @ytg All EU countries admit EU citizens with ID cards. How is it not about being part of the EU?
    – phoog
    Sep 2 '17 at 11:51
  • @phoog I though non-schengen countries (like the UK) require a passport. my bad.
    – ytg
    Sep 2 '17 at 11:55

EU citizens can enter and exit Serbia on a national ID Card, as stated by the Serbian MFA

So if your foreigner registration is in order, you'll be fine.

Hungary is in the EU, so you have freedom of movement there and can enter with an ID card

  • What you linked is also about entering Serbia.
    – chx
    Sep 2 '17 at 8:40

We have two yes answers both of them with wrong reasoning, providing the wrong links: the OP is already in Serbia, the kind of documentation necessary to enter Serbia is irrelevant. ytg's comment is the winner: as Hungary and Czechia is part of the Schengen Treaty and the European union, you can use your national ID card to enter and travel within the Schengen area. Travel documents for EU nationals:

You need this paragraph to enter the Schengen zone at the Serbian-Hungarian border:

When travelling to or from a non-Schengen country you must show a valid ID or passport.

And this one to go from Hungary to Czechia (possibly crossing SLovakia, another Schengen treaty member):

If you are an EU national , you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another.

  • It's not only about entering Hungary; it's also about exiting Serbia.
    – phoog
    Sep 2 '17 at 11:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.