I have lost my passport here in Beograd. Can I travel just with my Czech ID card from Belgrade to Budapest?

  • Which country issued you this ID card?
    – George Y.
    Sep 2, 2017 at 1:32
  • @GeorgeY. title claims it's Czech Republic
    – Kuba
    Sep 2, 2017 at 2:11

3 Answers 3


Yes, you can travel just with Czech ID card as Hungary is in European union and Czech republic has agreement with Serbia. Source: http://www.mzv.cz/jnp/cz/cestujeme/aktualni_doporuceni_a_varovani/srbsko_cestovani_na_obcansky_prukaz.mobi

  • It's not about being part of the European Union, it's about being part of the Schengen Treaty. (Which doesn't make a difference here, but still.)
    – ytg
    Sep 2, 2017 at 8:35
  • Also the provided link is about entering Serbia.
    – user4188
    Sep 2, 2017 at 8:39
  • 1
    @ytg All EU countries admit EU citizens with ID cards. How is it not about being part of the EU?
    – phoog
    Sep 2, 2017 at 11:51
  • @phoog I though non-schengen countries (like the UK) require a passport. my bad.
    – ytg
    Sep 2, 2017 at 11:55

EU citizens can enter and exit Serbia on a national ID Card, as stated by the Serbian MFA

So if your foreigner registration is in order, you'll be fine.

Hungary is in the EU, so you have freedom of movement there and can enter with an ID card

  • What you linked is also about entering Serbia.
    – user4188
    Sep 2, 2017 at 8:40

We have two yes answers both of them with wrong reasoning, providing the wrong links: the OP is already in Serbia, the kind of documentation necessary to enter Serbia is irrelevant. ytg's comment is the winner: as Hungary and Czechia is part of the Schengen Treaty and the European union, you can use your national ID card to enter and travel within the Schengen area. Travel documents for EU nationals:

You need this paragraph to enter the Schengen zone at the Serbian-Hungarian border:

When travelling to or from a non-Schengen country you must show a valid ID or passport.

And this one to go from Hungary to Czechia (possibly crossing SLovakia, another Schengen treaty member):

If you are an EU national , you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another.

  • It's not only about entering Hungary; it's also about exiting Serbia.
    – phoog
    Sep 2, 2017 at 11:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .