I am a citizen of India and currently have a Canadian visitor visa that expires in 2018. I currently live in the US. My flight plan at the end of this year from US to India involves a layover in Canada for a couple of hours. Do I still need a transit visa or is my visitor visa enough?

  • Do you have a green card?
    – phoog
    Aug 28, 2017 at 21:47

1 Answer 1


No, nope, never. You do not need a transit visa. Visit visas are superior to transit visas. If you have a valid visit visa you can certainly transit through.

If you are eligible to apply to enter a country on its border (which you are) you are certainly eligible to apply for a transit through it.

As noted in the comment below, if you have only a single entry visa then its for you to decide whether you want to use that entry or apply for a transit visa because if you use a single entry visa for a transit it will still be called USED. However for Canada and many other countries visit visas are multiple entry usually.

Let's say any future reader has a Green Card and no Canadian Visa they can obtain an eTA online quickly to transit through Canada.

  • 1
    The problem that arises, however, is when you have a single-entry visa -- wasting that on a transit would be regrettable. We have a question on here somewhere asking about a Chinese single-entry visa and how to TWOV so as to not use up the single-entry. (Not sure it that one was ever resolved.) Aug 28, 2017 at 20:45
  • Canadian Single entry visas are rare these days Aug 28, 2017 at 22:03
  • 1
    You specified "a country", not "Canada". General answers are cool but you have to talk about the edge cases that might not apply to the specific country in question. :) (Also 'rare' implies 'still happens on occasion'. I don't know anything about Canadian visas, tho.) Aug 28, 2017 at 22:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .