Have met travellers cycling in Tajikistan, and they're hoping they can download maps of China - either road or cycle tracks (or both). They've searched high and low, and haven't found decent road-level quality maps. Any suggestions for easily downloadable maps for a laptop?
An answer five years later - and by now refering to downloading maps to smartphone:
The best map for China IMHO is from Baidu, and this article describes an option to download maps for offline usage and how to use it. If you, like me, don't want to give the app every possible permission on your phone, an alternative is:
I have made good experiences (all over the world in fact) with Maps.Me which is based on Openstreetmaps as suggested by @Rory.
Features (according to Wikipedia) include
Features of MAPS.ME:
- Offline map data (custom compressed format)
- GPS support
- Offline routing from current location within one map
- Offline search (by name, address, category and coordinates)
- Auto-follow mode
- Location and bookmarks sharing
- KML import
- Offline routes for cars and by foot
The latest update apparently also includes an experimental bike route option.