I'll be flying frequently between KTM, GVA and the US (primarily IAD/DCA and BOS but possibly some SFO/OAK/SJC) and then also some domestic travel in the US. I'd like to stick with one airline/alliance to optimize point collection and get status.
Based on the limited number of airlines that fly to KTM, my airline of choice would be Etihad however their partnerships are pretty weak so I think Qatar Airlines is my go to. As they're in oneworld, I'd be able to fly American Airlines for domestic travel in the states and continue to accumulate points as well.
If I go with this scenario, my questions are:
- Would it be more beneficial to park all of my points in QA or AA?
- Since I'm a US resident, the benefit of AA is that I could get their credit card to accrue more miles
- I don't think I can get the QA credit card as I'm not a resident of Qatar
- I imagine that I'll be doing more flying with QA than AA
- Based on what I've been able to figure out, I can't directly get status with AA credit card.
- Are miles that I accrue with my card status earning?
- Do other perks of the credit card transfer to when I'd fly QA?
One more thing to consider: QA is fine for flying KTM <> GVA however GVA (and even ZRH) <> US is prohibitively expensive with oneworld flights.
That's my current state of affairs. If anyone has better suggestions other than the QA/AA combination I'm also all ears.