I am an Australian uni student doing a 6 week course in London in October which I have applied for a Tier 4 visa for. I have also booked a 1 month trip through Europe prior to the start of my student visa, however, I land in London on the 1st day and leave the following day to start the 1 month holiday.

Can I enter the UK first as a standard tourist leave the following day, and then enter 3 weeks later on my Tier 4 student visa? I'm worried that Border Security will refuse me entry and deport me home before I can even start my holiday!

  • Please see this answer by @GayotFow for a similar question by a visa national. The answer advises against such a move without keeping your institute in the loop.
    – RedBaron
    Commented Aug 17, 2017 at 11:25
  • I stand corrected :)
    – user29788
    Commented Aug 17, 2017 at 11:30
  • Per the comment by @RedBaron (to whom thanks) I will mark this as a duplicate. If you examine the linked material and you think your situation differs, and you can make your question unique, then edit your question and ping me, or cast a 'reopen' vote, thanks
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Aug 17, 2017 at 11:42
  • @GayotFow For a one way traveler from country A looking for a short break in the UK (say one week) en route to a country B, when denied entry into the UK, will UK immigration put you on a flight onward to B (you are a citizen of both A & B) for which you have a ticket at a future date, or will they return you to A although you do not possess a return ticket to A? If they do return you to A, are you considered to left the UK voluntarily, at the expense (directly or indirectly) of the Secretary of State, in which case you may face a 5 year ban since you did not have a return ticket? Commented Aug 17, 2017 at 15:59


Browse other questions tagged .