I am invited to attend a conference in Edinburgh. I am clear that I will be requiring UK standard Visa, after going through these links. https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

However, while booking an appointment I am confused with the Visa Category. The purpose of my visit - Business (Academic) or Tourism?

Conference - General Studies and Status of Women

Related to my Work - No, this is a domain outside my work area.

Profession - Senior Analyst, Finance and IT domain

Since my work is not related, I am assuming that I cannot select Business(Academic).

enter image description here

enter image description here

Kindly guide, If I am missing something here? I have also gone through below links (helpful, but I am from India) -

UK visa type to attend conference and training in London

Type of visa to apply to attend a conference in the UK


The documentation here, clearly states that you need a UK Standard Visa for attending conferences in the region.

enter image description here

  • There is no option for standard, I have shown the screenshot above. Aug 14 '17 at 6:02
  • 2
    Please go through the doc. The standard visa comes under Tourist and short stay visas. So, it is the tourist visa :)
    – Dawny33
    Aug 14 '17 at 6:05
  • 2
    @ItiTyagi the fact that attending conferences is an allowed business visitor activity does not prevent it from also being an allowed tourist activity.
    – phoog
    Aug 14 '17 at 8:47
  • Please do not use pictures instead of text on SE sites, Dawny33- they cannot be searched. Can you quote the text?
    – Willeke
    Aug 13 '18 at 19:56

They seem to contradict themselves

They seem to contradict themselves. It says you can apply for a visa but not must. It says you can stay in UK for up to 6 months without a visa and can go to a conference, meeting or training.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.