I have two passports, Moroccan and Ukrainian. I got my Hungarian residence permit with my Moroccan passport.

Now I am planning to travel to Russia; I will use my Ukrainian passport to travel since no visa is needed.

The problem is that my residence permit for Hungary will expire while I am there. I did apply for renewal few days ago.Please note that I can enter Hungary using my Ukrainian passport, thanks to the visa free new agreement signed in June.

I have never used my Ukrainian passport to enter Europe and I don't know what to expect at the airport. Should I tell them that I live there as a citizen of Morocco and that my residency renewal papers are in process? Would they let me in without lots of questions concerning my séjour in Budapest (I am a full-time student)?

  • You question itself is confusing. What is the other citizenship and do you use that passport in Hungary? Aug 12 '17 at 13:30
  • Yes as I said I got my permit of residence with my other passport (Moroccan) and not the Ukrainian one..
    – nadejda
    Aug 12 '17 at 13:41
  • Dear @OleksandrKravchuk, I have modified my post , i hope it is clear now :)
    – nadejda
    Aug 12 '17 at 18:36
  • @nadedja, what was your experience? Were you able to re-enter Hungary smoothly? Jul 6 '19 at 3:09
  • @Romulus Parthian , I entered using my Ukr passport. Decided not to show the Moroccan one at all to avoid any confusion.
    – nadejda
    Jul 7 '19 at 8:08

As stated in Timatic, the database used by Airlines:

Visa required, except for Passengers with a residence permit issued by Hungary


Passports and other documents issued to residents of Hungary must be valid on arrival.

In other words, the airline is not supposed to let you board the flight back to Hungary with an expired residence permit.

So, you must present your Ukrainian passport when boarding the flight back, and once you get to Hungary, present both of your passports, your expired residence permit, and any document(s) proving your application for an extension. They will let you in, possibly with some delays

  • So at the time of checking in, I show my Ukrainian passport. Then on my way back both of them,right?what if when leaving,they ask me where is the stamp on my Ukrainian passport? When did I enter the country and they simply don't accept my second one or something?
    – nadejda
    Aug 13 '17 at 11:40
  • @Nadejda You Show your Ukrainian passport at check-in in both countries. And the Russian check-in staff will only care about whether your passport if visa-free for Hungary or not - they aren't border police
    – Crazydre
    Aug 13 '17 at 13:37
  • @Nadejda If this answer satisfies you, please accept it by pressing the button below the down arrow
    – Crazydre
    Aug 14 '17 at 20:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.