Tag Info

Hot answers tagged


It is very possible that you will need chains. In both California and Nevada, the state may impose "chain controls" when necessary, meaning that it is mandatory to use tire chains in the affected area. Typically this would only be during a snowstorm, and the control would be lifted when the snow stops and the roads are plowed. This would be most likely to ...


You might want to read up on the Donner Party and make up your own mind. While you're unlikely to spend four months trapped in the snow eating your dead, it would seem prudent to carry chains in the middle of winter in the Sierra Nevada (which means "snowy range / mountains in Spanish). I'd rather be mobile with chains than stuck because a rental company ...


Burning Man Festival itself organises a ticket exchange programme for those interested in reselling their tickets. They call it 'STEP' (Secure Ticket Exchange Program). However, for the 2012 festival this is now closed. The Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) is an online system that facilitates the safe resale of tickets that have been purchased ...


For 2012, it would seem you're out of luck by official routes. The main website describes the ticketing structure and process, and the final dates have indeed passed. A search on ebay reveals at least one seller of tickets, but I'd be very cautious buying tickets second-hand - not that it can't be done though.


It has become quite difficult to find left luggage facilities in transportation centers in the U.S., but you can speak to the bell desk at any major hotel and ask them to hold bags for you. In a large hotel, the bell desk will operate more or less independently of the front desk, and not care too much whether you are a guest at the hotel or not. You should ...


As @waiwai933 said, and it's applicable to most states in the US, you need to be 21 to rent a car. SmarterTravel website summarizes the issue pretty well. What you need to know is that you'll have to pay $25 to $35 a day as Young Driver Fee at most car rental agencies, with a maximum of $300 (so for rentals over 10 days you don't pay any more for the rest) ...


It should go without saying that buying in the open market is a bad idea, but don't forget Craigslist.

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible