Tag Info

New answers tagged


If you do not trust online solution the best variant will be to purchase offline media backup. I always take it with me while travelling.


Its very simple really: An adapter is when the cable you are carrying doesn't fit in the wall socket. These adapters do not do any current stepping or conversion. They are cheap and portable. A converter is an appliance that takes a specific voltage and coverts it for a different purpose. These are typically rated and are almost always heavy and bulky to ...


Several quick rules of thumb: Almost everything has a sticker or imprint that lists the input voltage. Look at that. For the more electronics savvy: if you're just trying to do a quick inventory in your head you can usually just go on whether the device already requires voltage conversion. Computers, phones, and other things with charging batteries almost ...


If you are going to use a non-universal (110-240v / 50-60hz), your safest option is to use a step-up or step-down transformer. The small adapters as you showed are good for low amp power adapters, for example cell phones. As long as you don't want to use a hair dryer, then a small transformer is great. However all laptop chargers are universal.


Some shavers may work with just an adapter. A clock may need a frequency converter, which is a far more expensive and bulky piece of equipment than the voltage converter you show here. Look at the existing power supply (i.e. the inline brick or "wall wart" plug used to plug into a US outlet). It will say the range of voltage it allows for input. If it says ...


General rule: read the sticker on the item you want to use, although in some cases it is a text area molded into the plastic of the transformer of the charger. Most laptops, phones, camera chargers and such these days are made to run off 100 as well as 240 volt, and can handle 50 as well as 60 hertz. If something is made to run on 240 volt, it will ...


Based on the logo on the socket, this is an "EmPower" socket - which isn't surprising as they are the most common type of these sockets on airplanes. You can find a datasheet for these types of sockets here, that claims they are "Compatible with plugs from over 170 countries", and then specifically shows compatibility with multiple forms of 2-plug European ...


Yes, the German type plug will fit in there, if you look closely you will notice a curved notch in the outlet made for round pins. Check the end of the arrow: Actually, plugs with round pins are the standard in Qatar the country, along with the UK type.


Don't wear woolen socks. Chances are - your socks are charging on the carpet (as you may be required to take off your shoes) and this causes the static build-up (and then discharge). Try putting your shoes on first, and touch a metal object (like a desk) before you touch your laptop. You can also try spraying on anti-static guard on your clothing - do not ...


Hold the laptop with an item of clothing preferably natural not synthetic and touch the bare machine to any static metal item in the airport. This will discharge the static


Checked baggage goes through security screening, the same as your hand luggage does. The only difference is that your checked bags are checked without you being present, so no chance to explain what they are seeing on the screen. How the security folks would deal with a checked suitcase containing something that perhaps resembles an explosive trigger is ...

Top 50 recent answers are included