Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am going to Canada, I have a valid U.S. tourist visa (B1/B2). Can I transit via a U.S. airport on the way to Canada with this visa? Logically I know I can since I am allowed to enter the U.S. but I am just making sure.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

A B1/B2 visa is good to transit through US airports. I have asked an immigration officer in Dulles airport.

share|improve this answer
I would add that one doesn't actually transit in a US airport (like most Europeans know). There are no 'transit' facilities here (as far as I am aware.) If your flight is arriving in the US from another country, and even if you will be departing again within a very short period of time, you still need to go through Customs and Immigrations ( and have a valid passport and visa/ESTA ). Since the OP has a valid visa already, as you've said, there is no issue here. –  CGCampbell Jul 9 '14 at 16:03

So I couldn't find the exact answer but you will need to fill an I-94 at the time you enter the US.

The I-94 states a couple things about your identity, but especially the customs officer will ask how long you stay in the US, what you will do and where you will stay. Whenever you enter the US, you had better know an address where you will stay. If you don't stay in the US (if you leave the country within the day) maybe you don't have to provide such information, but you can still prepare it in case.

Apart from that, I see no reason why you wouldn't enter the US (well unless you don't respect the law obviously). By the way don't bring food it's forbidden.

EDIT based on comments.

share|improve this answer
The I94 is just the arrival/departure form, no? –  Mark Mayo Sep 30 '12 at 20:00
yes it is, green or white depending on your visa. The paper that is famous for the questions asked :) –  Vince Sep 30 '12 at 20:14
I think Mark's point is that you don't get an I-94, you just fill in an I-94 when you land. –  Kate Gregory Sep 30 '12 at 22:22
I agree with @KateGregory, it is a form that has nothing to do with the visa requirement for transiting... –  MeNoTalk Sep 30 '12 at 22:53
yes indeed, I edit it then. –  Vince Oct 1 '12 at 6:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.