Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am going to Canada, I have a valid U.S. tourist visa (B1/B2). Can I transit via a U.S. airport on the way to Canada with this visa? Logically I know I can since I am allowed to enter the U.S. but I am just making sure.

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

A B1/B2 visa is good to transit through US airports. I have asked an immigration officer in Dulles airport.

share|improve this answer
@CGCampbell you are assuming that "transit" means "pass through the airport without passing through border controls." Actually, it means "traveling in immediate and continuous transit through the United States enroute to another country." See travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/other/transit.html –  phoog Feb 25 at 0:03

So I couldn't find the exact answer but you will need to fill an I-94 at the time you enter the US.

The I-94 states a couple things about your identity, but especially the customs officer will ask how long you stay in the US, what you will do and where you will stay. Whenever you enter the US, you had better know an address where you will stay. If you don't stay in the US (if you leave the country within the day) maybe you don't have to provide such information, but you can still prepare it in case.

Apart from that, I see no reason why you wouldn't enter the US (well unless you don't respect the law obviously). By the way don't bring food it's forbidden.

EDIT based on comments.

share|improve this answer
The I94 is just the arrival/departure form, no? –  Mark Mayo Sep 30 '12 at 20:00
yes it is, green or white depending on your visa. The paper that is famous for the questions asked :) –  Vince Sep 30 '12 at 20:14
I think Mark's point is that you don't get an I-94, you just fill in an I-94 when you land. –  Kate Gregory Sep 30 '12 at 22:22
I agree with @KateGregory, it is a form that has nothing to do with the visa requirement for transiting... –  Nean Der Thal Sep 30 '12 at 22:53
yes indeed, I edit it then. –  Vince Oct 1 '12 at 6:10

C1 Transit Visa General Information: The C1 Transit Visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter into the United States while transiting to another foreign country. The C1 Transit Visa can be used to travel in and out of the United States when your final destination is another country. Individuals with a valid B1 Business or B2 Tourist Visa do not need to obtain a US Transit Visa. Any other valid nonimmigrant visa may not be used to transit through the United States. Individuals from Visa Waiver countries do not need to obtain a C1 Transit Visa. The Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program and International-to-International (ITI) program were both suspended by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Department of State on August 2nd, 2003.

C1 Transit Visa Eligibility Requirements: Most foreign nationals traveling through the United States to another foreign destination are eligible for a C1 Transit Visa. C1 Transit Visa holders may stay for a maximum of 29 days in the United States. C1 Transit Visa holders are required to leave the United States on the proposed flight or ship of departure, or within 29 days, whichever is earlier. Some applicants may be required to apply for a B1 Business Visa or a B2 Tourist Visa in order to visit the United States. Travelers from countries with a passport from a Visa Waiver Country do not need to obtain a transit visa. Additional information can be found in the C1 Transit Visa application guide.

share|improve this answer
Hi and welcome to travel.SE. This answer seems to be an exact copy of this website. Please do not copy material that you haven't written without properly referencing it, as that is considered plagiarism. You can learn more about this on the relevant article in the help centre. –  drat Feb 24 at 1:42
I wonder if this is actually 100% correct: "Travelers from countries with a passport from a Visa Waiver Country do not need to obtain a transit visa." - I would assume that with a denied ESTA pre-authorization, one would still need a visa to transit in the US. –  DCTLib Feb 24 at 8:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.