Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So hypothetically my driver's licence is lost (quite likely). I'm not in the UK. Is there any way I can get a replacement one from overseas and get it sent to either me, or a friend in the UK who can forward it on?

share|improve this question
up vote 12 down vote accepted

If you're permanently abroad, then the DVLA cannot issue you a driving licence.

Otherwise, if you are temporarily abroad, you will need to enclose a signed letter with your full name, date of birth, the UK address on your licence, and your address. This goes along with your D1 application and you will get your new licence mailed to you. Applies if:

If you lost both the plastic photocard and the paper licence, do not need to make changes, and have a Visa/Mastercard/Eurocard/Maestro credit or debit card, you will still need to send the letter. However, you do not need to fill out a D1; instead, you can make the request over the phone by calling +44 (0)1792 782 341 between 8.00 am and 8.30 pm Monday to Friday and 8.00 am to 8.30 pm on Saturday.

If you want to be doubly sure that I've got everything right, here's the interactive tool.

share|improve this answer
well, couldn't get more complete an answer than that, unless you'd actually done the application for me! +1 and accepted. – Mark Mayo Sep 12 '12 at 5:36
I love that their link to an ordering form (from the interactive tool) is broken... – Mark Mayo Sep 29 '12 at 21:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.