Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What amount of cash I can take with me when going from Canada to USA? I want to travel to US and want to take ~ 12000$ with me. DO I need to declare it and pay any fee?

share|improve this question
$12K cash? Do you need a lift from the airport? :) – Doc Sep 11 '12 at 0:27
The US requires you to report it. They don't prohibit it, nor do they charge any fee. – Loren Pechtel Sep 12 '12 at 22:26
There is no limit; you can carry as much as you are comfortable with. You just have to declare any amount above $10,000 and be able to justify the source and the reason you are carrying the cash. – Burhan Khalid Dec 14 '15 at 19:17
up vote 10 down vote accepted

Travelers leaving or entering the U.S. with more than $10,000 (in any form, that includes cash or checks) are required to declare it by filling out a Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments (FinCEN 105). This applies even if you are passing through the U.S. in transit to other countries.

Source: eHow

share|improve this answer
FinCEN 105 is quite specific as to what is considered a "monetary instrument" and ordinary checks made out to a named recipient (and not endorsed) are excluded. – Spehro Pefhany Dec 3 '15 at 18:12

In addition to Heidel's point that the US cares you are taking more than $10,000 out of the USA, Canada cares that you are bringing more than $10,000 in. The form you will fill out on arrival is at and you can see they want to know if you have that amount of cash on you.

According to you don't have to pay any fee, and you are allowed to bring the money, but you MUST tell them about it. Just allow some time to have a conversation with the CBSA on arrival.

share|improve this answer
I believe you've got this the wrong way around. The direction of travel is Canada -> US. – Doc Sep 11 '12 at 4:44
You're right, sorry. I'll leave the answer though, because a searcher might be interested in the other direction – Kate Gregory Sep 11 '12 at 20:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.