Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

UPDATE: Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Thanks to IgorStack

I am planning to drive to Niagara Falls to see it from the Canadian side. I have heard good things about seeing it from the other side. So, I want to stay in Toronto for a day, see Niagara Falls and come back.

I have a green card, and, my wife is a citizen from US.

I have read this link,, and this doesn't talk about person with a green card. So, could you advise if I can go to the Canadian side or give me links on this one? I am on an Indian passport.

EDIT: My experience:

  • Crossing: We went there at around 7:30 in the morning to avoid the long queue. The border security official asked us to give us our passports, I have given my green card as well with the passport, she asked the purpose of our visit and how many days we were planning to stay. The whole process took around 10 minutes, 7-8 minutes for waiting and 2-3 minutes with the official.

  • Visit: It is almost an unbelievable sight, you definitely have to see it. Not only that you get to go through the tunnels and see the water flowing in front of you (there is a railing to stop you if you slip, but exercise caution.) As far as I can tell, Canadian side is so much better to view than American side. Also, don't forget to go to the biggest butterfly museum and botanical gardens (1000 acres of it). Also, go on to the top of Skylon tower, I thought it is worth it. Although, our room view for the falls was also very good. Toronto takes more than a day to visit. May be next time, I will have time to see more. Experience the trip yourself, don't go with the travel bookings.

  • Food: We went to some small villages to experience local food and also went to AG (highly recommended on Trip advisor and me too but you will be spending at least 100 if you are a party of 2). The food was very delicious, makes me want to go again just for food. Enjoy!

share|improve this question
your edit would be better as an answer, Yoo. Glad you enjoyed Niagara! – Kate Gregory Sep 4 '12 at 21:42
@would_like_to_be_anon So, you didn't contact Canadian consulate and didn't have any stamps in your Indian passport before you cross the Canadian board, right? I'm asking because since March 15th 2016 you would need to have Electronic Travel Authorization form. Just wondering do I need anything else apart from it. – IgorStack Feb 11 at 18:59
I didn't have to fill out any forms. It looks like ETA is required only if traveling by air. Am I right? Source: (However, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air.) – would_like_to_be_anon Feb 11 at 19:38
My mistake, it looks like ETA is required for visiting Canada, regardless of transport mode based on this website: – would_like_to_be_anon Feb 11 at 19:42
up vote 18 down vote accepted

Then normally, for most people, you would require a visa. However, keep reading, there is good news, I'm just including all information for future people reading this.

VisaHQ - for Indian passport, living in the US, you still need a visa, whether for business, tourist or transit purposes.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada also confirms - visitors to Canada from India require a visa.

The Niagara Falls Live Travel Tips page also confirms:

Persons wishing to travel to Canada whom are not U.S. citizens (ie: foreigner) may be required to get a tourist visa from the Canadian consulate in the country from which they are arriving from. If you are in the USA on a visa and wish to visit Canada while in New York there is a Canadian consulate located in Buffalo New York. YOU CANNOT OBTAIN A TOURIST VISA AT ANY OF THE BORDER CROSSINGS. When contacting the Consul, inform them that you wish to obtain a "temporary resident visa". As of April 1st 2012 the fee per person is $75 for a single entry visa, $150 for a multiple entry visa or $400 for a family (multiple or single entry).

However, going back to the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration page:

Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

  • persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;

so it appears, in fact, that you would be totally fine, as you are in possession of a valid green card!

share|improve this answer
Nice work Mark! – hippietrail Aug 21 '12 at 18:10
Oh good! I can go. Thank you for including links with the information. I will print them and take them as well. – would_like_to_be_anon Aug 21 '12 at 18:42
No worries. At first it was looking like you'd need a visa, but was very happy when I found the exception on the CIC website. Let us know how it goes! – Mark Mayo Aug 21 '12 at 18:44
Sure, will update when I come back. – would_like_to_be_anon Aug 21 '12 at 18:51

If you are a green card holder you do not need to get a visa to visit Canada. NOTICE if you are get in to Canada and stay more than 6 months, you must apply for a visaa

share|improve this answer

Some of the information contained in this post requires additional references. Please edit to add citations to reliable sources that support the assertions made here. Unsourced material may be disputed or deleted.

Do you have a link or reference for this? – Mark Mayo Jun 21 '15 at 7:06

protected by mindcorrosive Jun 21 '15 at 14:13

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.