This year, at the beginning of September, I am planning a road trip with my GF. The plan is to visit some sites in the Dolomites, Italy. Also, I would like to visit Franz Josef Hohe (I was there once before), to get a nice view of Grossglockner. If there is time, we would also steer a little bit off course to visit the southern part of Switzerland and some of Liechtenstein. The trip is currently planned over four days. The starting point is in Ljubljana, Slovenia. We would like to stay in B&Bs. We would like to spend one night in Heiligenblut (below Grossglockner). All other stays are negotiable.
I would like to get some advice on this specific road trip and also some general advice:
- What are the must-haves on road trips (if any, apart from the fully functioning car)?
- What are the must-sees in the Dolomites, once I am there? What about Switzerland and Liechtenstein? We enjoy nature and also historical monuments. Museums are not really our main interest.
- Do you have any suggested routes where to drive to the Dolomites and also through them (to do some sight-seeing from the car)? One part of the route would clearly be the road from Heiligenblut through Lienz to the Dolomites (or the other way around).
- Is it good to book B&Bs in advance or is it better to just arrive there and find the most suitable option?
- As regards the previous question, are there any recommended B&Bs you know of? Are there any you have had bad experiences with?
- The trip would be more of a student budget, so we will not stay in any high class hotels.