Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been granted a working visa (IEC) for Canada and it is valid for one year upon entry. I want to travel to San Fran first and travel up the West coast and enter Canada via train. I have been told that I have to have a return ticket from Canada within 90 days because it's a country neighboring the US. Is this true?

Any help, much appreciated

share|improve this question

I believe this is true for tourists, not Canadian residents. I couldn't find any authoritative statement anywhere on DHS or CBP sites to support this statement.

You must remember though that any stay for less than 30 days in Canada will not reset the 90 days VWP clock.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.