Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have ulcerative collitis. It's not particularly bad. I'm trying to get travel insurance for two different holidays (one to the US and one to China/Japan). Unfortunately having ulcerative collitis means that a lot of companies either won't cover me or want to charge me the earth for cover.

Could someone recommend a UK-based insurer that does reasonable rates for people with pre-existing medical conditions?

share|improve this question
Are you talking about trip insurance that refunds you if you cancel the trip, or health insurance which covers your medical needs while you are abroad? – Joel Spolsky Jul 6 '11 at 17:11
Health insurance, but if it has cancellation insurance, that would be great – zeocrash Jul 7 '11 at 8:57
Do you need the insurance to cover the Ulcerative Collitis, or are you happy to take one that covers everything else? – Gagravarr Jul 8 '11 at 13:27
up vote 7 down vote accepted

In the end I ended up using a UK based company called Medici travel who gave me a very reasonable rate for annual travel insurance.

Turns out that my health insurance policy would have covered me anyway for ulcerative collitis abroad, and I could have just got regular travel insurance.

It's definitely worth checking if you have health insurance if your policy covers you while overseas as it would have saved me a packet if I'd known that.

share|improve this answer
Interesting. I"ll look into them as well, as I need another policy for some more travel coming up. Thanks for posting your final solution! – Mark Mayo Aug 24 '11 at 16:56
No Problem. Obviously it has to be a health insurance policy that covers your medical condition – zeocrash Aug 25 '11 at 9:58

I have a rare but serious heart condition that also tends to freak out insurance companies. However, I've found that if I get a letter from my cardiologist and my GP saying that there's no reason to expect anything to go wrong for period x-x, they're happy to either insure me, or to insure if I pay a premium.

When I was in NZ, Mike Henry Travel Insurance would do this, as well as Southern Cross travel insurance. They may have international branches?

For my current trip, I'm actually with World Nomads, although I don't think they're UK based.

Good luck - there's always a way, often your doctor might be able to suggest a company as well, or write extra documentation about it. He may offer to say that if you agree to carry medicine x or y with you they'll reduce the premium, or something - there's usually some way to do it, even if it's a high premium.

share|improve this answer

Since this post is not closed, I just wanted to share a lesson I learnt during my purchase process. PRE-EXISITNG CONDITIONS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER ANY TRAVEL INSURANCE. Insurance company has term called Acute On-Set of pre-existing conditions. I recommend the article I found best to understand Acute onset of Pre-existing Conditions. Also there is youtube video to understand why pre-existing conditions are not covered, watch

share|improve this answer
There are quite a few specialist travel insurance providers who do cover pre-existing conditions, but they generally charge quite high fees based on which pre-existing conditions you want them to cover – Gagravarr Jul 14 '15 at 20:49
Also, plenty of companies are quite happy to cover a range of minor pre-existing conditions (Asthma etc) – CMaster Jul 15 '15 at 8:37
Can you expand this to help us understand it better? I understand you have some experience, but the answer here is unclear. – Gayot Fow Jul 17 '15 at 22:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.