Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What kind of power plug is used in Ireland?

Is it the typical plug used in most of Europe? Or is it the British one?

(Could you attach or link to a photo so I can make sure?)

share|improve this question
Details not only for Ireland. – pnuts Aug 21 '15 at 0:35
up vote 30 down vote accepted

It's the same as the British one (Type G). (Type D) was once common and may be occasionally found. The voltage in Ireland is the same as the rest of Europe (220 volts).

To be more specific, From Wikipedia:

The British Standards 1363 plug[17] is used in the United Kingdom and other countries. Compatible plugs standards are IS 401 and IS 411 (Ireland), MS 589 (Malaysia) and SS 145 (Singapore), and SASO 2203 (Saudi Arabia).

This is how it looks:

UK power outlet

Bath and shower rooms

From Wikipedia:

In the United Kingdom and Ireland, there is a two-pin socket for use with electric shavers in bath or shower rooms.[18] It derives from the unearthed version of 5–6 A British plug and it has 0.2 in (5.08 mm) diameter pins 5⁄8 in (15.88 mm) apart. The sockets for this plug are often designed to accept unearthed CEE 7/16, US or Australian plugs as well. Sockets are often able to supply either 230 V or 115 V. In wet zones, they must contain an isolation transformer compliant with BS 3535.

UK Shavers

For more details, check the electrical outlet website for a list of the electrical plug types for the whole world.

share|improve this answer
It may be worth adding that the voltage is the same as the rest of europe, it's just the plug that differs – Gagravarr Jun 8 '12 at 10:46
Actually in UK, Ireland and mainland EU it's no longer 220V, it's been 230V for quite a few years now. – vartec Oct 1 '12 at 12:22

As others have mentioned, it's the same as the UK.

Ireland & the UK are quite culturally close (and were the same country until 1922), so anything bought in the UK would have to work in Ireland. There are numerous 'high street' UK chains operating in Ireland selling the same merchandise.

share|improve this answer
There used to be issues whereby UK televisions wouldn't work completely or at all in Ireland, as some channels in Ireland were VHF which the UK boxes couldn't receive. Post-digital though, this is not a problem any more. – Alan B Sep 23 '13 at 9:08

If you use an adapter there is a trick for using several plugs(2 pins) with just one adapter. The third pin is just for "unlocking" socket so you can try to put in the adapter conversely and just plug in your two pin plug.

Edit: As pointed out by CMaster in the comments you are deliberately circumventing a safety feature this way. You should only do this if you know what you are doing and use it only with low power gadgets.

Edit: As pointed out by SztupY the third pin is not only for unlocking but for grounding. According to that you should only use this trick for gadgets that do not need to be grounded.

3 Pin Adapter

3 pin adapter

enter image description here

plug in conversely if possible

enter image description here

pluug in 2 pin plug

enter image description here

remove adapter

Important: be ware that this is an unsafe usage of power sockets.

(Pictures taken from

share|improve this answer
There's a specific very cheap plastic adaptor for that. Not sure if they are available in Ireland, but the places where they are sold, they are available for a negligible amount of money (30 cents per piece or something like that) – drat Aug 21 '15 at 1:42
It's perhaps worth pointing out in the answer that by doing this you are deliberatley circumventing a safety feature. Largely irrelevant with a low-power adapter, but one should understand what they are doing before taking such a step. (doing this with say, a toaster would be ill-advised) – CMaster Aug 21 '15 at 4:29
the third pin is not just for unlocking, it's actually for grounding, and it's an extra safety feature. While you might be okay for simple chargers (especially if they don't need grounding), this is not okay for ones which do – SztupY Aug 21 '15 at 9:53
You are also circumventing the fuse. There can also be problems with plugs getting stuck in or damaging the sockets. I reccomend against doing this but if you must do it then please do it on a power strip rather than a wall socket. That way you will at least have the fuse in the power strip and if the plug does get stuck you have the option of unplugging the whole power strip. – Peter Green Dec 9 '15 at 21:38
By far the better, and safer, solution for this is to just take a single adapter and a 4-way extension cord from your own country... – Jon Story May 27 at 16:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.