Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am PhD student and am going to apply for a Romanian Visa in Paris. I asked the Romanian Embassy for required documents. The embassy has suggested to have medical insurance. Since I am traveling to Romania for only 9 days, I would prefer to spend not many euros on medical insurance.

Could you suggest cheap medical insurance? I would prefer to purchase online rather than visiting to any travel agent.

share|improve this question
What country are you traveling from? If it's the US, do you have medical insurance in the US? – Doc Jun 7 '12 at 17:00
I live in Paris, France. – Pankesh Patel Jun 7 '12 at 18:59
@PankeshPatel You mean you're traveling to Romania, right? What is your current health insurance in France? It might be valid for a short trip elsewhere in Europe. – Gilles Jun 7 '12 at 22:03
I have Vital card, but I do not have EHIC. I would prefer to get health insurance for my current Romanian trip. Any suggestion for health insurance ? – Pankesh Patel Jun 8 '12 at 14:08
up vote 3 down vote accepted

If you have health insurance that's valid in one country in the European Union (plus Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland), you are usually covered in all of the EU. All you need to do is get a European health insurance card (EHIC); this is free and you can apply online. The EHIC entitles you to medical coverage in the country you travel to, for trips lasting up to a year.

In French, the EHIC is called carte européenne d'assurance maladie. You can get it online from the Ameli website.

Note that there may be “unusual” circumstances in which you cannot get an EHIC. In particular, if your health coverage in France does not come from a French provider, your coverage might not extend to other countries; check with your provider.

share|improve this answer
Many Many thanks for this information. I have just realized that I do not have EHIC. I have Vital card. And Since EHIC will take some time. So, I would prefer to take health insurance for the moment. Would you suggest health insurance ? – Pankesh Patel Jun 8 '12 at 14:06
@PankeshPatel There's no point in buying health insurance if you're already covered. I think you can get a temporary card on the spot if you apply in person, otherwise you can get an EHIC in the mail in about three weeks (apply online on the Ameli website). A lot of credit cards offer travel insurance in case you get hit by something major and need to be repatriated. For such a short trip, you won't need any long-term health care (if you're taking medecine, get enough for the trip before leaving). I wouldn't bother with anything more, even if you can't get the EHIC in time. – Gilles Jun 8 '12 at 20:04
Thanks Gilles for your advice. – Pankesh Patel Jun 8 '12 at 20:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.