Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am relocating to California from New Jersey and will be there for around 7 months. Do I have to surrender my NJ driving license and get a new one in CA?

share|improve this question
I'm not sure whether this really qualifies as a travel question. It's more a "living in USA" question. But it's not an expatrates question either ... – hippietrail Dec 13 '13 at 3:21
up vote 8 down vote accepted

If you are not planning to stay in California permanently, you can continue to use your New Jersey license.

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

share|improve this answer
I am not sure if I will be a resident or not. I am an international student here at NJ and will join an internship in CA. Will I be a resident in CA? – Abhishek Chanda May 28 '12 at 21:32
The section I quoted tells you the things that will make you a resident of California. – choster May 28 '12 at 23:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.