Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

While on vacation in the US last year, my wife and I was in a traffic accident. My wife had to spend more than a week in hospital before we could fly home. Our insurance is covering everything, but we keep receiving more bills in the mail. We are forwarding the bills to our insurance company, who tells us that they are taking care of them, but they are probably not paying them immediately (I expect there are a lot of paperwork involved). We can see that some of the invoices have strange addresses on them and have taken a long time to reach us, so we are a bit worried that there might be others that haven't reached us yet.

Also, since the accident was partly my fault, I received a ticket for careless driving, which I have paid.

We are going back to the US in a few weeks on vacation. Can any of this give us problems in immigration or elsewhere? Is there anything we should do or special papers we should bring?

share|improve this question
I really doubt if you will have any problems, but just in case I would take the paperwork to show that you have paid the ticket and that you have insurance paying for the medical bills. – user27478 Apr 12 '12 at 9:03
"Careless driving" or "reckless driving"? – Karlson Apr 12 '12 at 11:25
@Karlson: I believe it was careless driving. I changed lanes on the highway without noticing another car. – Traveller Apr 13 '12 at 8:35
@Traveller I don't know of any state giving "careless driving" but if you paid it you have nothing to worry about. – Karlson Apr 13 '12 at 13:31
up vote 17 down vote accepted

Unpaid debts are not an issue for immigration, so even if there are some bills still outstanding immigration are neither going to know that they exist, or care at all about it.

The careless driving ticket may show up on your record that immigration can see, but presuming it is just a simple careless driving ticket then it's nothing to worry about. The exception here would be if the ticket include anything related to a "controlled substance". ie, if they charged you with being under the influence of alcohol (DUI) or drugs at the time of the accident. Presuming that's not the case (and I'm sure it's not, if only because your insurance probably wouldn't have covered the bills if it was!) then you're set!

share|improve this answer

No, shouldn't be a problem. Looks like you're doing everything right, you paid your ticket and you're taking care of your bills. Why are you even worried?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.