Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm travelling from Pearson airport (YYZ) in Toronto to the US with a TN Visa application, which I'll need to bring to the "US port of entry." Will that be at my destination in the US, or does it happen right at Pearson? I know that other US customs/immigration activities happen at Pearson, before you ever leave Canada, so I'm not sure if this does too.

I ask because I need to plan how early to be at the airport: 2 hours for security, or 4 ours for security + immigration?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

You will be passing the US immigration in Toronto, before boarding. That will be your "port of entry", and they'll have to be the ones to approve your TN status. Plan your time accordingly.

This is a question for the "Immigration" site on SE - please join in commitment here.

share|improve this answer
I disagree with the suggestion it belongs on Immigration. Often a TN is for a visit (I've used them for visits of a week, to teach a course) and therefore fits Travel. –  Kate Gregory Apr 12 '12 at 15:45
@KateGregory I meant the whole topic of visas. Immigration as a topic, not immigration as "OP is immigrating". –  littleadv Apr 12 '12 at 18:03
Note for later viewers: the immigration proposal has been deleted, but the expats proposal is open for commitment!. –  gerrit Jan 23 '14 at 21:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.