I'm visiting Europe soon, and I need some advice for transportation inside Europe on an extremely low budget.
I probably will spend many days there, so I want to visit as many countries as I can. I'm thinking of an itinerary like this, including countries of Schengen territory, from Portugal to Greece and from Italy to London or even Norway:
- Arrive to Paris
- Move immediately to Madrid (I need to find someone there)
- Start from Lisbon (Portugal)
- Move to Gibraltar, Madrid, Barcelona (Spain)
- Pass to France: Toulouse, Orleans, Versailles, Paris, Strasbourg.
- Move to Brussels (Belgium)
- Netherlands (Rotterdam and Amsterdam)
- Connect in some way to London, Stonehenge (UK), Dublin (Ireland)
- Go back to Germany (Hamburg, Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, Bremen)
- Switzerland (Zurich)
- Italy (Venecia, Bologna, Rome, Pisa, Naples)
- Greece (Athens)
- Finish endless experience.
I have some ideas:
- I found pages for optimization in booking of car rentals. I'm surprised to find from 7$ daily which can be translated 420$ for 2 months or 630$ for 3 months which is affordable, but it depends of many factors like gas price, what is the regulation to pass from one country to another with a car, maintenance of the vehicule, insurance, etc. So, it's a little bit complicated.
- I heard of a full pass train ticket, but no sure of its limitation and price. Eurail I think. Any inconvenience?
- I heard outrageous stories of people who can find a flight to one country to another for 5$... I wonder where!?!?!?!?!!? That would be awesome or maybe there are urban stories maybe.
- I think bicycle trips would be messy. Where should I return it?
- Walking would be impossible to achieve 20 countries for 2 or 3 months.
- Is there any bus service?
Can someone recommend a better choice please? From some early replies, it looks like mixed-mode transport could achieve the cheapest way to travel inside Europe.
Edit: Last Update
I didn't mention why I chose Paris as first arrival destination. It's because I found a trip suggestion from Flight-Hub that it was very "cheap" (IMHO) around US$ 500 to go first to Paris than any other city in Europe. No matter how many times I clean my cache browser, anytime I perform a search between Canada and Paris, it is always the best choice. If someone know where to arrive for less than this price, it would be awesome to share with others.