Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm going to apply for the tourist visa to Germany. It is said that I need a reference letter from my employee. However, I'm working on contract and my contract will end before I go traveling. What should I do?

And I'm planning to buy Inter rail train ticket (valid for 1 month) which can be used in many EU countries. Can this Inter rail ticket be used as proof as return ticket?

And I'm not sure how long I will stay in each country, it depends on how much I like the country. So can I just apply the visa to visit Germany for 1 month and book a hotel that can be canceled. Then, I will decide later how long and which country I will travel after I get the visa, of course within the visa validity.

share|improve this question
What visa are you on in the UK? –  Ankur Banerjee Apr 3 '12 at 15:03
And to add to Ankur's question what's you country of citizenship? –  Karlson Apr 3 '12 at 15:05
I'm holding post-study work visa. And I'm Vietnamese. –  Tuyet Apr 3 '12 at 16:56
add comment

1 Answer

I think that this FAQ is pretty exhaustive. One thing that all countries want to see when you apply for the visa is that you can prove that you will leave, so as long as you can show that plus the fact that you can support yourself while you are in the country then you shouldn't have any issues.

share|improve this answer
thanks Karlson. All the stuff about this visa cost money and time. It would be easier if I could just pack my bag and go. –  Tuyet Apr 5 '12 at 10:59
@Tuyet If you are looking to enter illegally then this is not the forum to find out how. Unfortunately to do this legally you will need a visa and hence spend time and money getting it –  Karlson Apr 5 '12 at 11:29
I have never said that I'm looking to enter illegally. Just a bit of complaining. And as you can see how inconvenient and costly it is as I want to backpack travel, go and stay where and when I want in the given time of the visa. –  Tuyet Apr 5 '12 at 16:15
@Tuyet I do. Unfortunately there is no easier way around it... –  Karlson Apr 5 '12 at 16:21
Where are you from? USA? –  Tuyet Apr 5 '12 at 16:24
show 1 more comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.