From this page about the driving laws:
It is the law that all drivers and their passengers wear seat belts
while riding in a vehicle in The Bahamas.
- A child weighing less than twenty pounds shall face the rear of the vehicle secured in an infant seat fitted to the rear seat.
- A child twenty pounds and less than forty pounds - convertible car seat fitted to the rear seat.
- A child over forty pounds or up to 4 ft. 9 in. tall shall be secured in a booster car seat fitted in the rear seat.
- A child taller than 4 ft. 9 in. and between 8 and 12 years old shall be required to use a seat belt
Then from TripAdvisor:
Taken directly from the Bahamas Law Database. If you are renting a car
the agency should have child seats available.
- (1) Subject to section 42B, no person shall drive a motor vehicle or permit a person to ride as a passenger in that motor vehicle unless
that person or that passenger is secured by a seat belt.
Mandatory use of seat belts.
(2) Subject to section 42B, no person shall ride as a passenger in any motor vehicle on any road unless he is secured by a seat belt.
(3) Where any passenger mentioned under this section is under the age of five years, such passenger shall be secured in a child
passenger seat positioned in the rear passenger seat of the motor
(4) Any driver of a motor vehicle who drives without a seat belt or allows a passenger in such vehicle to ride without a seat belt commits
an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine of three
(5) Any passenger other than the passenger referred to in subsection (3) who rides in a motor vehicle and is not secured by a
seat belt commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a
fine of one hundred dollars.
(6) Every person is guilty of an offence against this section who being the person driving the motor vehicle at the time of the breach,
permits a child to ride without a seat belt or secured in a child
passenger seat and such person shall be liable on summary conviction
to a fine of five hundred dollars.
The same site insists that "A taxi from the airport will not have a car seat available. That is certain. ".
For a different viewpoint, depending on how much you want to risk it:
we were just there last year for several months: children were hanging
out of car windows, etc. Even if the above was actually made into a
law (which wasn't clear...?), it's not being enforced.