Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does anyone know of a place to hire motorbikes in Thailand, say Bangkok or Chiang Mai, and ride them into Laos and back? The trip will be self-guided and should take no longer than two weeks.

share|improve this question
that's a good loop you can do with you motobike from Chiang Mai: – greg121 Nov 20 '12 at 14:30
up vote 11 down vote accepted

Yes, it is possible to hire motorbikes in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I haven't done this myself but some friends did. It costs about 200-800 baht per day to hire one depending on the type of motorcycle you get. It might make sense to buy one from an expat or a another traveller, then sell it when (if?) you go back to Thailand. You will definitely need to have an IDP to drive around in Bangkok as police keep a watch out for tourists.

The problem I foresee with your plan of driving to Laos could be that many motorcycle rental places in Thailand retain your passport. You could try convincing them to leave just a copy of your passport but for long-term hires they may not agree. You also need to have paperwork to cross the Thai-Lao border on bike.

Those are the basics. GT Rider is a good place to start your research on the exact documentation you need to cross the border, the kinds of motorcycles usually available for hire, maps, et al.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for that info Ankur, gives me confidence befroe heading over. I have check the GT but they dont have any specific places to hire or detail if they will let us take them over the border. Looks like i will have to get my negotiation boots on. – Peter Grant Jun 29 '11 at 3:26
@Peter: See for list of documents need to cross border. A good place for specific places to hire would be the GT Rider forum. – Ankur Banerjee Jun 29 '11 at 3:31

I hired a scooter in Chiang Mai for 200 baht a day. However, an accident there might cost you about 4000-5000 baht. You would be very lucky if the damage is minor and you are quoted a damage cost below 4000 baht. No license is needed, just a passport will do. They will keep your passport when you rent the bike.

The rented motorbike does not usually have enough milage to bring you from Bangkok/Chiang Mai to Laos. Furthermore, I highly recommend against travelling to Laos as the roads in the Laos section of your journey may be bumpy and not well-suited for your rented motorbike.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.