Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any regulation or law such that a Canadian citizen who travels to US to have and show a ticket at the border for returning back?

share|improve this question

There is no regulation or law that makes it mandatory for a Canadian citizen (especially if you are entering under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) to have a return ticket when entering the United States. However, as with any other government, the United States (and by statutory extension, CBP officers) can deny any person entry for any reason, including and particularly if a person seems to intend on staying past their permitted length of stay.

For that reason, if you are entering the United States by any means, even if by car, you should be fully prepared to answer 1) how long you're staying, 2) where you're staying, 3) when and how you're leaving the US, and 4) why you're entering the US.

Just as a side note, you can read about someone who was denied entry for a similar reason, but note that this individual also screwed up his answers when he was questioned by CBP. (and he did eventually get into the US).

share|improve this answer
I'm a Canadian citizen and I've entered into the US dozens of times with many different people by car with no return ticket. Never heard of anyone having a problem with it (I'm from Vancouver and live 30 minutes from the border) – justinl Mar 7 '12 at 22:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.