Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an old, but still valid ESTA, with the country of residence showing my home country. However, I have recently moved for education in the UK. Do I have to apply for a new one?

Nothing else has changed - country of citizenship, passport, names etc

share|improve this question
Contacted US Embassy. No reapplication / amendment needed in my case. – Nielw Feb 22 '12 at 11:52

Nope. I've changed my residency from UK, to NZ, to Canada in the last 1.5 years, and have used my ESTA as recently as last week, and it's fine. It's tied solely to your passport/citizenship. I was open about my changes at the border, my Canadian permit is even in my passport, and they were totally fine.

Of course, once your ESTA is more than two years old (as mine will be in November) you'll have to apply for a new one :/

It seems weird that we don't need visas, but we have to pay $US14 for a visa-waiver. Sounds like a visa to me (rant) :)

share|improve this answer
The majority of the $14 goes towards promotion of tourism in the US. The real "advantage" of the ESTA not being a visa is that if your ESTA application is refused, then you have NOT been refused a visa. Whilst that sounds like semantics, it's extremely important when you then do go to apply for a US visa! – Doc Oct 8 '13 at 14:55

You apply to ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) only if :

  • you board (even a stopover) in the USA
  • you apply for the first time, you apply on .
  • you applied before and your previous ESTA is more than 2 years old. This is your case, you update. For each stop/stay in the US or status update, you need to update status with your flight number.

Last year I re-applied on September 2010, it cost about 14 USD. 2 years ago it was free. I suppose you do a stopover in North America. Advise: print the ESTA receipt with the application number. The US customs have your passport number, but a mistake can always happen.

EDIT : after reading your case, you have a valid ESTA (less than 2 years old) and you changed country of residence. On their site you Update or Check Status and don't forget your flight number.

share|improve this answer
I don't quite follow your logic, raychenon. Does this mean one applies or not after change of residence? esta is not more than 2 years old. – Nielw Feb 21 '12 at 7:49
Nielw, just update your status . ESTA is 3 years old , mandatory since Januray 12 2009… – Raymond Chenon Feb 21 '12 at 9:23
Doesn't clearly answer the question. – Andrew Ferrier Sep 8 '12 at 23:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.