Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I will be visiting the UK for two weeks later this year and renting a car. I would rather not pay the extortionate insurance rates that the rental company will charge me for this. I have a valid UK drivers license (I used to live there).

My own vehicle insurance only covers rental cars in the US and Canada. I am aware of credit cards that cover rental car insurance, but I haven't found one with an annual fee of less than $120, which would mean I wouldn't save much.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

share|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

This probably depends on what company you plan to hire your car from. For instance, according to Avis, they already include mandatory insurance cover in the quoted price and anything above that can be bought as 'additional cover'.

When renting a car, it is essential you are properly protected according to UK law and your own requirements. When you book an Avis rental car, the price you are quoted includes basic level of cover needed should you be involved in an accident. In the UK, this means you are automatically covered for:

  • Third Party Cover
  • Vehicle Damage Cover
  • Vehicle Theft Cover

Avis does charge anywhere between £5-15 per day for additional cover depending on the level of additional protection you buy, but you don't need to.

Similarly check with whichever car rental you are planning to do business with. They may have already factored in the cost into their prices.

share|improve this answer
I don't know where the quote you posted comes from. It isn't from the page you linked to. In fact that page says of the mandatory cover:"Does not Cover:Theft or attempted theft of the vehicle;Theft of personal belongings from the vehicle;Death or injury to the driver; Damage to the rental vehicle". – DJClayworth Jan 31 '12 at 16:19
You said you wanted 'insurance' - you didn't specify what for! I was pointing out the fact the minimum mandatory cover is already accounted for in the price. Also check the 'Vehicular Damage Cover' and 'Vehicle Theft Protection' sections on that same page. – Ankur Banerjee Jan 31 '12 at 16:40
Did you mean to imply that the minimum level of insurance covers damage to the rental vehicle and theft of the rental vehicle? That's what I took your answer to mean, and it doesn't seem to be the case. – DJClayworth Jan 31 '12 at 17:05
No. Minimum legal requirement in UK is 'Legal Liability, Third Party and Public Liability Cover'; basically, if you end up damaging/hurting anyone else. Additionally, included in the price you also get Vehicle Damage Cover and Vehicle Theft cover, without additional charge. Perhaps I didn't phrase it clearly enough or you didn't read the rest of the section on the page I linked to. 'Additional cover' is a separate section on the page, after a section break. – Ankur Banerjee Jan 31 '12 at 17:31
You do seem to be right. At least the basic quote for the car seemed to include the vehicle damage insurance. If you make a small edit to your answer I will remove the downvote. – DJClayworth Jan 31 '12 at 18:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.