Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My girlfriend is from Mainland China, and we would like to travel to China together. However, as we understand, the requirement for Chinese is to travel in a tour group if they want to go to Taiwan.

Is there a way around this? Is there any we that we could travel, just the two of us, from China to Taiwan, without being in a tour group?

share|improve this question

As far as I understand, last year they started allowing solo Chinese travelers. I met a Chinese backpacker who was not part of a tour group last July. This is a hard one to understand as my Mandarin is mediocre at best. For Taiwanese going to China, they need to go to the Taiwan Immigration Bureau in Taipei, I don't know about the other way around. I know this isn't horribly helpful, but I DO know that there were some Chinese backpackers here last year, but I also know it isn't that common. I would recommend visiting whichever bureau dispenses visas to Taiwan and ask them.

share|improve this answer

It depends on where your girlfriend lives in. I know that from last year, the resident in Beijing, Shanghai, and Xiamen can apply for visa to Taiwan for personal traveling. And it seems that more cities are available in this year.

share|improve this answer
Could you supply some reference for that info ? – blackbird57 Sep 29 '15 at 20:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.