Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My wife (Polish passport) is planning to travel to the USA (and some European countries) with our son who has dual Polish-British nationality. Would it cause any issues if the young one is travelling on a British passport? It seems especially convenient this way, because Polish citizens still need a visa to get to the USA, which is both expensive and humiliating to obtain. Are they going to experience any issues with American officials?

share|improve this question
What's so humiliating about getting a visa? – Ankur Banerjee Dec 4 '11 at 3:01
@Ankujr: Because of the absurd American visa theatre that's been introduced in the wake of 9/11. – hippietrail Dec 4 '11 at 10:54
The absurd theatre of having to apply for visas has always existed for travellers of many nationalities. Man up! – Ankur Banerjee Dec 5 '11 at 9:50
@AnkurBanerjee Does that make it any less humiliating? – Relaxed Sep 11 '13 at 10:15
up vote 14 down vote accepted

Technically there's no issue at all with doing this.

However where she could have a problem is in convincing the immigration officials that she is the child's true parent, and has authority to take him across country lines. I'd suggest taking a copy of your son's birth certificate showing that she is the child's mother, as well as a letter from you giving permission for her to travel with him. If her name on the passport is different to that on the birth certificate, such as if it changed at marriage, you'll also want proof of that - such as a marriage certificate.

Here's some additional information on children traveling with only one parent.

Don't forget that you will be required to obtain an ESTA for your son to enter the US under the visa waver program.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.