I think, the Curonian split is the same from both sides, Lithuanian and Russian side. So, if you are interested in only Split - you should not bother about visit the Kaliningrad. But:
As I've already said here, my mother is from Kaliningrad, and I've been there near half of my life, especially during summer holidays. I love this town, and my opinion is what you should visit it near for week. And what's why:
The symbol of the town is the Königsberg_Cathedral:
It is reconstructed now (and some work is still being made, but economic crisis brought some problems for this process), it's works as catolic and orthodox church, and has two museums inside - the Kant's museum and Cathedral history museum.
Also there is the Kant's Tomb:
The fishers's district - this a small place near the Cathedral where you can get funny photoes, try some sea food and so on:
Door to nothere
Pirate with monkey
the Amber museum. Very beatiful, amazing work inside.
- City near Kaliningrad - Svetlogorsk. Small beautyfull city with many great places to walk and huge amount for the buying something made in amber.
- If you are sea-interested person, or you are traveling with kids, you could be interested in visiting the Zoo
and Sea museum
- A lot of ships are available for visiting, such as
- Marine base in Baltiisk:
- Reconstructered King's Gate (museum inside):
- Restaurants inside old forts all over the town (on photo - Wrangel's cafe):
- Fort Friedrich Wilhelm III - memorial of the Second World War - for the extreme trip. If you can, find locals to get inside the memorial. It is awesome!
- And a lot lot more. You can even made a trip to the Gdansk - the buses are regular, 6 hours - and you are on place.
Some reports with more photoes (in Russian):