Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I will take a trip to Italy by road this September, and as my passport has expired and needs to be renewed, I only use my ID card to travel by plane, but can I use it for road trip also? I will travel from Greece, through to Albania (no problems with the ID), then Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia and then Italy! Do you think they will not accept my ID card in any of these countries' borders?

share|improve this question
Is this a "new" Greek ID card with latin characters or an "old" one with Greek characters only? You are fine with the former, but may have problems with the latter. – ilakast Sep 14 '14 at 16:37

According to wikipedia, you should be fine for all eu member states. Leaving bosnia and montenegro an uncertainty. montenegro seems to accept eu id cards, so does Bosnia

It seems that you can travel with you id only.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.