Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am currently waiting for my green card in the USA. I was wondering if I could travel to Puerto Rico since it is a territory. Under my green card application I'm not allowed to leave the USA, if I do it is seen as abandoning my application. However if the flight is domestic I assume there would be no problem as there is no immigration.

share|improve this question
If you have a state ID, just use that one. I flew to Puerto Rico few years ago as F-1 student. – mlt Aug 11 '14 at 18:38
@mlt What state ID did you use? – Vagish Aug 11 '14 at 18:45
You can fly domestic airlines with ID of any state. I had MN driver's license that time. – mlt Aug 12 '14 at 20:00
up vote 19 down vote accepted

Flights to Puerto Rico are considered domestic flights, and US Citizens do not need a passport to travel between the US and any US territories. However, foreign citizens do need a passport to travel between the two, (see so I can't say for certain how a trip like that will affect your Green Card eligibility. Your best bet is to check with an immigration official.

share|improve this answer
What ID do US citizens take? Would an Ohio driving licence suffice? – Vagish Aug 11 '14 at 12:49
@Vagish: That should be asked as a separate question. – Flimzy Aug 11 '14 at 17:52
@user102008 I've added a link to a citation. (It will appear when the edit is approved.) – Alan Munn Aug 11 '14 at 21:56
@Vagish You should take your passport with valid U.S. visa, and any additional paperwork. While Puerto Rico is a domestic flight, CBP does briefly talk to passengers on flights departing Puerto Rico, asking citizenship. This works similarly to the CBP checkpoints seen on U.S. highways in some states, though obviously without the highway or vehicles. – Michael Hampton Aug 11 '14 at 23:40
But how do they know you are not a U.S. national if you just use another photo ID? – user102008 Aug 12 '14 at 0:33

It's domestic, period, so no passport control. Never heard of CBP officials doing spot checks for flights to/from Puerto Rico but if they do, you could explain your Status to them in case you don't bring your passport. They will be able to check it out

Btw, once you get your Green card it's all you need even when entering the US from overseas. For example if you go to Europe, although a passport is needed for entry over there, once you get back to the US you simply present the Green Card.

share|improve this answer
CBP does random checks of flights from Puerto Rico to the mainland, due to the high incidence of illegal immigrants from the Dominican Republic or elsewhere. Legally this is similar to the highway checkpoints in the southwestern US. – Michael Hampton Apr 27 at 1:14
I see! However, seeing as passports aren't required for the travel itself, surely one should be able to board without unless the officer smells something fishy? – Crazydre Apr 27 at 1:21
Right. They aren't looking for the people with visas or green cards. They're looking for people who got illegally smuggled into the country. – Michael Hampton Apr 27 at 1:22

protected by Community Apr 27 at 4:32

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.