Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My stepson (Jamaican) was refused to travel in transit through the UK to Germany. He holds a visa to Germany and a US visa. Can you tell me if that was correct?

share|improve this question
Was he flying from Jamaica? What type of German visa does he hold? Is he a resident there? – Relaxed Jul 15 '14 at 13:32

According to the a Jamaican national normally would need an airport transit visa unless [you]

  • are travelling to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and have a valid visa for that country
  • are travelling from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA and it’s less than 6 months since you last entered that country with a valid entry visa
  • have a valid US permanent residence card issued on or after 21 April 1998 (or an I-797 extension letter issued by the Bureau of Citizenship if it’s expired)
  • have a valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002
  • have a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • have a valid uniform format residence permit issued by an EEA state

If none of the above scenarios apply to him, then the refusal was the correct course of action.

share|improve this answer

Jamaican citizens do need a visa to transit in the UK, except if they qualify for some exemption. The confusing thing is that US and German (Schengen) visitors visas are treated differently for this purpose.

Holders of regular US visitors visa qualify for an exemption when flying to and from the US but not between two other destinations. There are similar provisions for visitors to Canada, Australia and New Zealand but not for short-stay German (Schengen) visa holders so even though your stepson was flying to Germany with proper documentation that's not enough to qualify.

On the other hand, if your stepson is a permanent resident in the US or a resident in Germany then he should be able to transit without visa, even to travel between two other countries. This exemption from the direct airside transit visa requirement only applies to residents (i.e. holders of a long-stay visa or a residence permit) but not to visitors.

A very detailed explanation of these rules is available on

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.