Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I and my wife are on tour currently in US holding US visa for 10 years. We hold Indian passports and we are Indian citzens.

We want to visit the Canadian side of Niagara and have to cross from US side to Canadian side. Can I obtain a transit visa at the bridge for few hours' visit?

share|improve this question

If you enter Canada to visit, there is no difference between "a few hours" and "a few months". You would need to get the same permission in either case.

It's unclear from your question whether you are a permanent resident in the US, and this makes a difference for entry into Canada. US permanent residents can enter Canada for a visit without any additional documentation (just passport plus US permanent resident visa or green card). However, if you are not a US permanent resident, then as an Indian passport holder you will need a visitor visa for Canada.

share|improve this answer
The provisions you are referring to apply only to US permanent residents, not all "US residents". – Doc Jul 15 '14 at 1:16
Thanks, updated answer. – Greg Hewgill Jul 15 '14 at 1:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.