Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I came across this blog. The blog says that if you have a valid/non-expire work permit of EU or Schengen member which I assume UK is part of EU, you can travel for up to 90 days to Greece. I hold a Tier-2 work permit visa in the UK. I know blogs cannot be trusted and I should check with the embassy directly which I will call them on Monday. I just want to check if anybody has done it before? Or it's simply not true.

share|improve this question

No, you cannot enter the Schengen area only with a UK residence permit if you citizenship does not allow you to visit without a visa.

A possibly source for the confusion is that a residence permit from a Schengen country (including most EU countries but not the UK) does allow the holder to visit other Schengen countries without visa.

Another source for the confusion is that your UK permit does allow you to transit to a non-Schengen destination at a Schengen airport, even if you would otherwise need an airport transit visa (this would only apply to citizens of a much smaller set of countries than the general visa requirement to enter the Schengen area).

Finally, as Guido already explained, a residence card for EU citizens' family members exempts you of any visa requirement if you are traveling to another EU country with the relevant member of your family (but not if you are traveling on your own).

share|improve this answer

Your UK work permit is not valid to enter the Schengen area, also for short time.

The exception for non-UE nationals living in UK is to hold a UK residence permit indicating "family member of an EU citizen".

share|improve this answer
The exception is only valid if you are traveling with your EU citizen family member or joining him or her. – Relaxed Jul 13 '14 at 17:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.