Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I applied for a B2 visa. My visa was stamped B1/B2. I travelled to the US a few times using my visa as a visitor. My company wanted to send me to the US on a business trip. Can I travel to US for a business trip with my visa? Will I face any problems at the port of entry?

share|improve this question

According to the US consulate:

Most applicants applying for a nonimmigrant visas are visitors for business (B1) or tourism (B2). The two categories of visa are usually issued together as a B1/B2 visa.

In other words, as your visa is B1/B2, it allows you to visit the USA for both business and pleasure, however note that

"Business" does not mean gainful employment, but it does include a wide range of business-related activities (meetings, trainings, negotiations) for which you are not being paid in the United States. You may also seek medical treatment or travel as a domestic/personal employee.

That is, you can go on a business trip, but you are not allowed to work in the USA as a permanent employment location.

Here's a link to the US consulate in India, but the rules are the same in other countries.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.