Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am currently holding an expatriate pass in Malaysia. I would like to fly to Hong Kong for a few days, then continue my vacation to LA from Hong Kong. Will there be any issues since I am not flying from my residing country? I am a Singaporean.

share|improve this question

I don't see why there should be an issue.

You are a Singaporean national and being a Malaysian Resident should not be an issue at all. Singaporean nationals are allowed to travel visa free to Hong Kong for up to 90 days, which I believe is lesser than your intended period of stay.

From there, you are free to board a flight to Los Angeles (United States) wherein you are allowed for up to 90 days at a single go as a part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Make sure that you fill out the ESTA(Electronic System for Travel Authorization) beforehand and there will be no issues.

share|improve this answer
wow! thank you so much for your kind advice!! i will apply for the ESTA before i fly! :) – pastelover Jul 8 '14 at 8:20
@pastelover No issues! Have a safe trip! :) – Aditya Somani Jul 8 '14 at 8:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.