Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I get my MI driver's license enhanced, or get an enhanced MI state ID?

share|improve this question

To get an enhanced Michigan driver's license if you already have one, you only need to visit any Secretary of State branch office and bring essentially the same documents you would need to apply for the driver's license originally, plus proof of U.S. citizenship, such as your birth certificate. (A complete list of acceptable documents is available.)

In particular, you need:

  1. Your Social Security card.
  2. Proof of citizenship.
  3. Proof of identity (your current Michigan DL is sufficient).
  4. Proof of residence (your current Michigan DL is sufficient).

If your DL is expired, you will need to bring additional documents for proof of identity and residence (see linked list above).

You'll have a new photo taken and receive your enhanced driver's license in two to three weeks.

Note that you'll have to turn in your old driver's license and be issued a temporary driver's license, but the temporary is not good for border crossing.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.